What Is SDS?
Your choice. Your support. Your way.
Self-Directed Support (SDS), enables you to have more choice and control over the support you receive. In the past your local council may have arranged your support package for you. Now SDS allows you to have control and flexibility to arrange and manage this yourself through the following four options: Direct Payment, Individual Service Fund, Arranged Services and Mixed Budget.
If you are eligible for Self-Directed Support you can have the choice of support that works best for you, your family and your lifestyle. You can also choose support that helps you to achieve things that have been agreed in your support plan. This may include pursuing a hobby, meeting friends, shopping or playing an active part in your local community.
Whether it is to answer a question or to assist with the entire SDS process, Cornerstone SDS will provide you with an Advisor who will help you make the choices that are right for you.
Your Cornerstone SDS Advisor will:
- Meet with you and offer impartial advice and support.
- Empower you to make informed choices about the SDS options.
- Signpost you to social work services for assessment to see if you are eligible for SDS.
- Signpost you to relevant services/resources that might meet your needs.
- Assist you to identify what is important to you and develop the right support plan.
- Liaise with family members or professionals such as care managers and social workers.
- Provide advice and support to help you employ your own Personal Assistant if required.
- Support you to manage Direct Payments if required.
- Provide you with online information and support. These include newsletters, events and other useful resources relating to SDS.
- Ensure you are clear about your responsibilities in relation to all aspects of SDS.